College Heritage

Durban Girls’ College was founded in 1877 as the “Durban Young Ladies’ Collegiate Institution” by a group of six Durban Commissioners and Protestant Clergy under the leadership of J F Churchill. The founders are still remembered in a special service each year, and the six school houses bear their names – Churchill, Cottam, Greenacre, Hunter, Palmer and Rutherford. In 1905, College moved to Musgrave Road, its present site, which was donated by Sir Benjamin Greenacre. The beautiful original school building is a monument to the spirit of excellence in which the school was established. Over time, the spacious campus has been extended and developed and the present pupils enjoy world-class academic, cultural and sporting facilities and equipment.

The vision of these founders and early benefactors was of a school which would provide a quality of education for women of successive generations. For more than a century, the school’s ethos and philosophy has been shaped and developed and have resulted in a tried-and-tested set of values and standards.

The pioneering entrepreneurial spirit of the founders remains in evidence today as the school embraces positive change, reform and the best of new trends in education policy, curriculum development and teaching methods. This proactive and creative management ethos also permeates facets of school life such as staffing and admissions policies.

This successful combination of tradition and innovation bears fruit in the outstanding school-leaving examination results and is evident in the lives of the many successful women all over the world who have been educated at Durban Girls’ College. The thriving Old Girls’ Guild, which is represented on the Board of Governors, is an active custodian of the school heritage and the College ethos.